The liver is located in the upper right part of the abdomen, below the diaphragm and above the stomach, kidney and intestines and is the largest organ in our body, as well as one of the most important in our body. Fatty liver is an abnormal accumulation of certain fats inside liver cells. This disease affects about 25% of the world’s population. It is difficult to diagnose it, since it usually does not present symptoms, so doctors usually know it after having seen the results of some tests such as blood tests, liver biopsy and ultrasound.
It is necessary that we keep the liver in good condition, since it carries out certain very important functions for our body. Some of the functions of this body are the following:
- Transforms food into chemicals and nutrients that the body needs to stay healthy
- Stores nutrients from the food consumed
- Breaks down medications, drugs and alcohol
- Removes waste from the blood
- Produces enzymes and bile that help digest food
- Produces proteins needed by the immune system to help the body fight infections
“Tips for a Healthy Liver”
All these functions are essential for the proper functioning of our body, therefore, to avoid complications, what is good for fatty liver?
- keep a healthy weight
- Do exercise
- To have a good diet
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Know how medications or supplements can affect the liver
- No Smoking
- Avoid contact with insecticidal toxins, cleaning products and other chemicals
Balanced Diet and Healthy Habits
As we have said in the previous point, maintaining a good diet is essential for our liver to be in good condition and thus be able to perform its functions well. But what foods and habits are best for fatty liver?
A diet rich in sugar contributes to fat being deposited in the liver and generating inflammation. Just like a diet rich in saturated fat, that found in red meat and fried foods, favors the development of fatty liver. When this happens, there are studies that have shown that reducing 10% of body weight can reduce fatty liver disease.
There are certain foods and habits that benefit liver fat loss:
- Monounsaturated fats : There is research that supports that eating foods such as olive oil, avocados and walnuts can benefit fat loss in the liver.
- Whey protein: This type of protein has been shown to reduce fat in the liver by up to 20% in women with obesity.
- Green tea: One study found that antioxidants in green tea, called catechins , may help decrease liver fat and inflammation in people with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Soluble fiber: Some research suggests that consuming 10 to 14 grams of soluble fiber daily may help reduce fat in the liver, lower liver enzyme levels, and increase insulin sensitivity.
- Eliminate sugary drinks: soft drinks, juices, cocktails, they should be off the menu since they have a large amount of sugar.
- Foods rich in vitamin C: several investigations say that the consumption of vitamin C is associated with a lower incidence of fatty liver. Some foods that can provide vitamin C are: papaya, kiwi, red fruits and pineapple, also peppers, broccoli, kale and cauliflower.
- Good levels of vitamin D: there is increasing talk that a lack of vitamin D means that fatty liver develops. This vitamin is found in fish such as salmon or tuna, mainly in cheese and egg yolk.
- Exercise: There are studies that have shown that exercising or resistance training several times a week can significantly reduce the amount of fat accumulated in liver cells.
Herbs and Remedies for Fatty Liver
As we have said before, for fatty liver, you must follow certain habits such as having a good diet, exercising, which is why the following home remedies must complement the new habits. Main home remedies for fatty liver:
- Green tea: some studies show that this tea has antioxidant properties and helps reduce bad cholesterol and triglycerides, which can accumulate in the liver and worsen the degree of fatty liver.
- Milk thistle tea: contains silymarin , it is a hepatoprotector that helps protect liver cells and also regenerates and detoxifies them.
- Artichoke tea: It is rich in antioxidants, helps protect the liver from damage caused by free radicals, and stimulates the growth of new healthy liver cells, that is, it can help combat the accumulation of fat in the liver.
- Dandelion: It is a facilitator of bile secretion, as well as to mediate sluggish livers. It contains minerals and antioxidants that help metabolism and the breakdown of fats.
- Turmeric: has antioxidant effects that improve liver function, prevents some toxins from causing damage to the liver. Some studies found that it reduces liver fat content.
At Vitae we care about your health and that is why we try to offer the best of us, providing valuable ideas for your daily life. Many times, to achieve full well-being, supplementation is necessary, and below we tell you our proposal.
Vitarlic ® Cleanse is a combination based on:
- Aged garlic extract: has an antioxidant, hepatoprotective , antihepatotoxic effect and improves liver function. It also has beneficial effects at the blood level, antiatherosclerotic , hypolipidemic , antiplatelet and fibrinolytic . In addition, it has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral action.
- Vitamins A, C and E: these are antioxidant vitamins that protect cells against oxidative damage.
- Selenium: increases the expression of the enzyme glutathione peroxidase .
- Green tea: this extract has a diuretic effect that increases the antioxidant activity of plasma and protects against oxidative damage.
- Sea thistle extract: stimulates detoxification pathways, replenishes glutathione levels, stimulates liver regeneration and has hepatoprotective , antihepatotoxic and antioxidant effects.
- Grape seed extract: increases the antioxidant activity of blood serum.
- Pine bark extract: increases the antioxidant activity of plasma
- Glutathione: this is a natural antioxidant in the body with detoxifying effects that also intervenes in the immune system and maintains the levels of the enzyme glutathione peroxidase (along with selenium).
All of them facilitate the detoxification of the liver system thanks to their unique formulation and their high content of antioxidants, which are very powerful and protect against free radicals and oxidative stress, in addition to having a hepatoprotective effect .
At Vitae we always recommend consulting a health professional, in order to have a more specific and personalized treatment, since each case is unique and everyone has different needs.