The mucous membranes are the layer of moist skin that cover cavities that are open to the outside or ducts of the body. They are found in the throat, nose, mouth, eyes, urethra, rectum, intestines, and vagina. All of them need to be well hydrated and nourished to have adequate functionality. These mucous membranes produce a sticky fluid called mucus, which protects the membrane and keeps them moist, but how to be aware of the dry mucous membranes.
The membranes have the ability to intervene in the processes that involve the immune system. They act as a barrier, since they have cells that emit protective responses against harmful agents.
When does dryness of the mucous membranes occur?
- Menopause and low estrogen
- Excessive hair removal
- Toxic and polluted environments
- Smoke and dry air
- Screen exposure for long hours o
- Some drugs/medicienes
- Medical treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy
Dryness: different signs for dry mucous membranes
Do you have discomfort during your sexual relations?
Have you noticed itching, stinging, irritation in your sexual relations? The causes could be:
- Insufficient estrogen levels that vary during the menstrual cycle
- Estrogen decline during menopause
- Inflammation of the vaginal tissues (vaginitis)
Other factors that could influence vaginal dryness would be diabetes, stress, tobacco and certain hormonal medications, such as contraceptives.
Do you have itchy eyes when you spend a lot of time in front of the computer?
Perhaps you have noticed that your eyes are dry, with a sensation of grittiness, itching, burning, with viscous mucus… The possible causes of this could be:
- Decreased tear production (aging)
- Certain medications such as antihistamines, antidepressants…
- Blink less often
- Lack of vitamin A
- Dry air, smoke
- Frequent use of electronic devices with screens
- Diseases such as Sjögren ‘s syndrome
Do you wake up with a dry mouth or do you eat a pack of gum a day?
Have you ever had dry mouth, dry tongue or thick saliva? Even difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing? Bad breath? Well, the possible causes that cause this could be:
- Tobacco and alcohol use
- Dad digestion
- Some medications
- Oral thrush
Do you notice dryness in the nose?
If you have ever had itching, burning, dry mucus or even bleeding, the possible causes could be the following:
- Infectious rhinitis
- Allergic rhinitis
- Dermatological pathologies
- Toxic exposure
- Oxygen therapy
Discomfort when going to the toilet?
Surely on some occasion you have had the sensation of itching, irritation or burning in your anal area. Well, the possible causes of this are:
- Irritating or toxic agents in food
- Prolonged diarrhea
- Skin diseases (psoriasis, contact dermatitis)
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Intestinal parasites
Do you have malabsorption or intestinal permeability problems?
If you do not absorb nutrients well, have poor intestinal permeability or even inflammation, it is very possible that the causes are the following:
- Eating fast due to stress
- Processed food
- Not eating enough fruits and vegetables
- Development of autoimmune diseases
Do you think you’ve run out of tears forever ? Do you know Sjögren ‘s Syndrome ?
It is an autoimmune disorder in which the glands that produce tears and saliva are affected causing dryness. It can also affect other parts of the body, such as the kidneys or lungs. We have studies where patients with Sjögren ‘s syndrome have improved their symptoms (pain, burning, itching…) by supplementing with sea buckthorn.
How to be aware of the dry mucous membranes? Vitae solution
Oliovita is a natural food supplement based on sea buckthorn oil ( Hippophae rhamnoides ), which helps nourish and regenerate the skin and mucous membranes.
It is recommended for:
- Relieve vaginal dryness
- Relieve dry eyes, nose and mouth
- Repair the gastrointestinal mucosa
- Alleviate the effects of medications on skin and mucous membranes that cause dryness
- Mitigate symptoms of skin pathologies (itching, burning…)
- Improve the hydration and elasticity of dry and/or aged skin
Like all food supplements, we recommend to take them under the supervision of a healthcare professional.
2 thoughts on “How to be aware of the dry mucous membranes”
Well I would like to get oliovita
Thanks for your interested in Vitae. You can buy Oliovita in our web in the following link: https://www.vitaeinternational.com/product/oliovita/