In this article we are gpoing to show what you need and how to cook a Superfood Salad filled with seeds and berries to give you that extra boost.
Nutritional highlights of Superfood Salad
Cranberries many of these phytonutrients offer antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer health benefits. Cranberries are a very good source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, and manganese, as well as a good source of vitamin E, vitamin K, copper, and pantothenic acid.
Goji berries these shriveled red berries are alleged to boost the immune system and brain activity, protect against heart disease and cancer, and improve life expectancy. Goji berries contain vitamin C, vitamin B2, vitamin A, iron, selenium and other antioxidants (notably polysaccharides).
Sunflower seeds make the Top 10 list for foods rich in Vitamin E, copper, B Vitamins like thiamine, phosphorus, selenium, and more. Sunflower seeds, like nearly all types of nuts and seeds, Sunflower seeds provide a healthy source of essential fatty acids in the form of linoleic acid.
Pumpkin seeds contain a wide variety of nutrients ranging from magnesium and manganese to copper, protein and zinc. Pumpkin seeds are nutritional powerhouses wrapped up in a very small package. They also contain plant compounds known as phytosterols and free-radical scavenging antioxidants, which can give your health an added boost.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 butternut squash, preferably organic, cored and chopped into chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 150g of black or wild rice
- 100g of mixed pumpkin seeds, sunflowers seeds, golden and normal flaxseeds
- a bunch of small basil leaves
- 50ml of maple syrup
- 50ml of extra virgin olive oil plus 4 extra tablespoons
- 50g of dried cranberries
- 50g of goji berries
- 1 cup of hot water
- salt and pepper
- freshly-grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cook the rice in salty, boiling water
- Drain, mix with a couple of tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix the chopped butternut squash with 2 tablespoons of oil, add salt and pepper and a quarter of a teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Roast the squash in the oven for 20/25 minutes or until golden.
- Combine 50ml of olive oil with the maple syrup. Mix well with the sweet potatoes.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and roast in the oven for 20/25 minutes or until golden.
- Soak the goji berries in the cup of hot water for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Mix the rice in a bowl with the mixed seeds, goji berries, cranberries, roasted squash and sweet potatoes. Make sure you include the juices of the butternut and sweet potatoes to enhance the richness of the flavour.