Enjoying hydrated skin is a pleasure that we should all be able to enjoy, but to do so, we must take care of ourselves inside and out. To prevent our skin from becoming dehydrated, it is important that we know the reasons why it happens and how we can avoid it. In this article we are going to talk about skin hydration and its importance
What is dehydrated skin and how to take care of it?
We can recognize that our skin is dehydrated through different symptoms, but what exactly happens when the skin becomes dehydrated? The skin loses an abundant amount of water that causes the epidermis and the horny layer to suffer from this lack of water. The skin is made up of three layers:
- The epidermis is the visible layer of the skin, the most superficial. It is made up of different layers of cells that create an impermeable barrier structure. This layer has the function of protecting us from external elements, such as UV solar rays, germs or bacteria. It is also the layer of the skin that retains water, and therefore hydration.
- The dermis is the largest layer of the skin. It is formed by an intertwined network of different fibers. This layer of skin has many blood vessels, collagen fibers, elastic fibers, and reticular fibers.
- The hypodermis is the deepest layer of the skin. This layer is made up of different fat cells (adipocytes), organized into lobules and separated by elastic and collagen fibers.
Factors that cause skin dehydration: What they are and how to avoid them
There are many factors that cause the epidermis, the visible layer of the skin, to become dehydrated. This dehydration can be caused by different reasons, such as:
- Environmental factors: The cold of winter, exposure to UV solar rays, changes in temperature or environmental pollution.
- Emotional factors: Stress, anxiety or insomnia.
- Habit factors: Tobacco, alcohol, abundant and constant use of hot water.
What are the symptoms of dehydrated skin?
First of all, it is important to differentiate between: dry skin and dehydrated skin. Dry skin is a type of skin, such as combination skin or oily skin. This type of skin has some specific problems that can be treated with dermatological products. On the other side, dehydrated skin is one that lacks water. It is a condition that can occur in all skin types and has other symptoms. The most common symptoms of dehydrated skin can be:
- Tightness: the feeling of tight skin caused by a complete loss of elasticity is one of the most common symptoms of dehydrated skin.
- Loss of shine: the lack of hydration lowers the natural shine of the skin and we can acquire a tired appearance.
- Flaking: it is very common when you suffer from dehydrated skin. A clear example of flaking is when we suffer a sunburn and later the skin peels off. In this case, the dehydration is caused by irresponsible sun exposure, but there are other causes that may involve skin peeling due to dehydration.
- Itching and burning: many times, when we suffer from dehydration of the skin, we can have itching and burning in different areas. Visually we will also observe a rougher texture or even small cracks.
Tips to treat dehydrated skin
The best way to recover dehydrated skin is from the inside, hydrating ourselves with daily food and water intake. However, there are many people who do not consume the right products, for this reason, there are different types of food supplements and vitamins that can help us hydrate and recover our skin from the inside out. Some of the ingredients that can help improve the hydration of our skin are:
- Sea Buckthorn Oil , rich in Omega 7 , which offers high hydration for the skin and mucous membranes.
- Hyaluronic Acid is a component that we can find in different types of products. Deeply hydrates and stimulates the production of natural collagen.
- Vitamin E , we can find it in fruits and vegetables and in cosmetic products or food supplements. Contains moisturizing properties that help reduce water loss from skin tissues.
- Argan Oil , has a great moisturizing action due to its content of unsaturated fatty acids.
At Vitae we want your skin to be hydrated and healthy, for this, we propose different products that can help you improve the condition of your skin.
OlioVita , our star product. A food supplement based on Sea Buckthorn Oil that helps to hydrate, nourish and protect the skin and mucous membranes. This product is ideal for improving the hydration of the skin and mucous membranes from the inside out.
Another great product that can help you is OlioVita Protect, ideal to prevent and protect our skin from UV solar rays. Sun exposure is one of the main causes of skin dehydration, for this, it is essential to protect ourselves from the inside through food supplements and from the outside through topical sun creams.
If you feel that you suffer from intimate dryness, we recommend our intimate cream for external application, OlioVita Íntima , with sea buckthorn extract , Hyaluronic Acid , Argan Oil , Mallow extract, Sesame oil and Soothing Peptides. With moisturizing, emollient and softening effect. It does not contain perfume or parabens.